Go big if you can, but even small things matter
Help Someone Living with Autism
Ten things you can do for the parent of a child with autism.
1. Listen. This might sound simple, but it can be one of the most important things you do. Don't pull away because you don't know what to say. Don't feel like you need to offer advice. Just be there. And listen.
2. Learn about autism. You don't have to become an expert, but learn enough to separate fact from fiction. You will find links to more information on autism on our Resources page.
3. Teach others. Especially children. They learn by example, so their acceptance of people with autism starts with you. There are links on our Resources page that will help you talk to kids about autism.
4. Provide respite. Offer to babysit while a parent runs an errand, gets some sleep or spends some quality time with another child.
5. Run an errand. Sometimes it is difficult for parents to do simple things like run to the hardware store, pick up dry cleaning, or take the dog to the groomer.
6. Do a chore. Cook dinner one night, do a load of laundry, mow the lawn. Or pay someone else to do it.
7. Don't judge. Their child's behavior is not a reflection of their parenting skills - or of their child's character.
8. Become an advocate. If they don't have time to do the laundry, how are they going to find time to lobby their state legislature or insurance company to fund behavior therapy for their child.
9. Do something for another child in the family. Siblings of children with autism can sometimes get lost in the shuffle. Find out if there is something you can do to make them feel special.
10. Ask what they need. Just like every person with autism is different, so are their families. If you don't know what you can do to help, ask.
Donate to Fund Therapy Services
In Bexar County, if 1 person in 68 donated $10 a month, we could invest $3.2 million in early autism treatment for children in our community over the next year. Today, more than 300 children are on ATC's waiting list for applied behavior analysis therapy. Without your support they will never get this life-changing treatment.
Donate a minimum of $10 and get a $10 gift card to any Barrios Family Restaurant - Viola's Ventanas, Los Barrios or La Hacienda.
Click here to make a one-time or monthly online gift.
For donations by mail, send to:
Autism Treatment Center
Attn: One in 68 Campaign
16111 Nacogdoches Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78247
For credit card donations by phone, call (210) 538-0905.
Become a One in 68 Partner
Whether you are part of a large corporation or own a small business, there are ways your company can help fund autism services and get recognition for your products or services.
Individuals and groups help advocate at the state level for public funding for autism services or hold fundraising events that help children in our local community.,